Thursday, October 11, 2012

Vendor Spotlight – Ashley O’Dell Photography

 Ashley O'Dell Photography

You may have seen a bit of Ashley O’Dell’s work earlier this week.  If not, you’re in luck!  We had the pleasure of learning a bit more about Ashley and her talents after she photographed Anna & Matt’s wedding.

Your Business name:     Ashley O’Dell Photography

Your Location:     162 Newbury Street Boston MA

How did you start your business?    By accident really. I studied photography at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design, where I received my BFA in 2005. Upon graduating in the spring of 2005 I immediately started freelancing full-time, assisting commercial photographers in the area, so naturally I assumed that would be the direction my own photography career would go. Until one Friday evening when I was with my mentor/photographer friend who received a phone call from a local wedding photographer in need of an assistant for the next day. Her scheduled assistant had to cancel at the last minute, and there I was, starry eyed, budding photographer, anxious for any opportunity to come way my way, until I was asked to assist at a wedding. You see when I packed my bags and headed off for art school the last thing I assumed I would be doing is photographing weddings (I didn’t plan to be a photographer at all, but that’s another story.) So when a wedding photographer reached out for help I was conflicted, I really needed assisting gigs, but I, like many still assume, wedding photography isn’t art, it’s cheesy. So I proceeded to tell this photographer that I would be happy to help her this time, but I’m not interested in wedding assisting in the future, so this would be a one time partnership. And that very next day, I think without really understanding it at the time, I was on the path to becoming a wedding photographer.

Ashley O'Dell Photography
How many years have you been in business?     After assisting for a year and a half, my now husband and I moved to Boston on January 1st 2007, and I started my business that day. I’m currently in my 6th wedding season.


What makes you stand out from other photographers?    I come from a fine art/commercial background, so I’m out to create images, not merely document an event. My work tends to be really colorful, whimsical and sometimes theatrical. And the best compliment I ever receive is “You made our wedding look even better than it actually did!”

Ashley O'Dell Photography
What's your favorite part of the work?    My job is constantly changing. I work with new couples/families every week, and at all different locations. I also really love running a business, most of the time :)


Are you seeing any trends emerge for the next season?    For 2013, not specifically, however the wedding industry is always changing. I’m seeing less and less tradition. Wedding parties have shrunk in size, if the couple even has a specified group called the “wedding party” anymore. Cake cuttings have become sporadic. And the bouquet and garter toss went out years ago. I think moving into 2013 I’ll see more events that resemble a big party, rather than a wedding, which I love.

Ashley O'Dell Photography 

What's the single best piece of advice you can impart to a newly engaged couple?    Enjoy the planning process! I say this all of the time. The wedding day itself will go by in an instant, so I remind couples to really enjoy their engagement, they will remember that time as much, if not more, than the actual wedding day.

Ashley O'Dell Photography 

Pricing Information:    My coverage begins at $3900. Most couples spend between $4500-$6500 with me, which can include additional hours, albums, prints, an engagement session, etc.

If you have any spare time, how do you spend it? Or some other personal tid-bit you don't mind sharing.    Traveling. Exploring the world with my husband will always be our priority in life. 

Contact information:   

email: ashley@aodell.com
phone: 617-676-8227
site/blog: www.aodell.com
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ashley-ODell-Photography/44986594022
twitter: https://twitter.com/aodellphoto

 

See more of Ashley’s beautiful images below…

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

Ashley O'Dell Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment