Saturday, December 21, 2013

Foraging for Inspiration

 Local Holiday Greens

Happy Holidays!

One of my favorite industry blogs, Flirty Fleurs, recently issued a challenge for designers to create a festive arrangement using only materials found within a 1 mile radius.  I was excited!  We just moved into our new home, complete with a beautiful, hearty hedge of holly out front - ingredient #1!

 

 

 

 

Holly Berries 

The other elements came together quickly on my morning walk with the dog through the trails just across the street…

Fern Greens 

I used a mercury glass piece that was an element in my Christmas mantle display, added a few maple branches, and presto…

Local Holiday Centerpiece 

Not only did I get a pretty holiday arrangement for my mantle, but this was a great exercise in design.  So often we create recipes and order exactly what we need for our various projects.  It’s always a great use of my creative energies to design a piece from a limited number of materials and even more fun to hunt them out from our surroundings.  Just goes to show that you don’t need summer blooms or a cultivated garden to create a great piece for your home.

Head on over to Flirty Fleurs to see all the designs from around the country - http://flirtyfleurs.com/winter-greenery-challenge/

Feeling inspired?  Take advantage of the balmy temperatures this weekend and create your own arrangement.  Send photos to me at kristin@ideas-in-bloom.com and I’ll post them on our Facebook page!

Remember, the rules are -

  • Design an arrangement of foliages, berries, fruits, etc.
  • All materials must be collected from your property or within 1 mile of your home.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment